Resource Hacker is a small,powerful, free tool to add, modify, view, and delete resources in Windows executable files (.exe files) and resource files. Resource hacker works on win9x, winNT, win2000,winXP, Vista, and Win7. It is written on Delhi ( RAD programming language) by programmer Angus Johnson. And it is on currently Version 188.8.131.52 ( you can download Resouce Hacker v3.6.092 here ) a 730 kb file.
How to use Resource Hacker to Modify EXE files?
1. Download Resource Hacker Resouce Hacker v3.6.092
2. Install and RUN, open any .exe file ( i opened Calc.exe here )
3. You can explore the folders, here... you can Modify, Delete, Edit some properties here.
What are the files i can view?
Resource Win32 Executable Files that can be viewed as follows:
Can I Extract the files opened by the tool?
Yes, you can extract the resources and save it into .res format (includes icons, bitmaps, cursor, menus, dialogs)
Modify/Rename/Replace EXE files
Image resources can be replaced/modified into another image file format (.ico, .cur, .bmp), or even .res/.exe file .
For Icons / Cursors / Bitmaps:
1. First select the resource ( e.g. Bitmap ,icon ).
2. Now click on Action -> Replace Icon or Cursor or Bitmap....
Can I Add new resources to executables?
Yes, you can enable a software and can add a custom icon or bitmap (company logo
etc) to a program's dialog.
- Tool can read 32bit and 64bit EXE, and it cannot read 16bit
- There may be errors in recompiling forms
- Difficult in viewing EXE files because some exe are packed/compressed